Monday, March 11, 2013

On That Note...


What does it mean to “connect” with a song, or piece of music?

There are many elements and things to consider when answering this question.  I look forward to sharing, what I believe to be, some of the most critical considerations with you in coming installments of On That Note...

I tell the vocal performers that I coach:

 “Don’t sing AT me, make me feel something!”

And for my dancers:

"I am not interested in how HIGH their leg can go, I am interested in WHY it is going there!"

Great artists make you feel as if they are allowing you (the audience) to see, or share, a very special intimate experience.

"Still waters run deep."

Many young artists, and far too many “seasoned” performers rely upon excessive gyrations and histrionics to try to “sell” a performance.  An artist who has taken the time to study the text, the music, and, when appropriate, the character, allows the audience to share an authentic experience in the moment.

For the purpose of this blog I will focus on performance rather than pedagogy.  I will, however, allow this one observation regarding technique:

Less is always more, and the most effective, and healthy approach to technique is to rely upon the breath, and not to manipulate movement or sound.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to sharing my thoughts and experience as both a performer, and a Director, as it relates to preparing and presenting the highest caliber of artistry in every performance. Consider this your opportunity to attend an online Master Class. And...On That Note...

I bid you Toi. Toi, Toi till next time,

J, Rosalynn Smith-Clark


No comments:

Post a Comment